A section of Elders from the Gusii community have asked the national and county governments to fund them in order to fight against rampant cases of suicide witnessed in the county.
Speaking to Gusii Star, the Abagusii Council of elders Secretary Mr Samuel Bosire has asked relevant authorities through the ministry of Gender and special programs to fund their councils in order to curb the menace in the region.
“Going by the current statistics, within the region, we should be allocated funds in order to curb the rising cases of suicide witnessed in both Gusii and Nyamira counties”, he told Gusii star in Kisii.
Last year, Interior CS Fred Mating’i on raised concern over the high number of suicides in the country. Attributing most of the cases to land disputes and soaring number of poplation
- Family full of Joy as Police commander and Okengo Nyambane complete building them houses .
- Nasa alliance has outlived its purpose Says ANC leaders as they call for walkout .
- Amani party leader calls for careful vetting of IEBC commissioners .
- There is need to restore the economy in gusii region says Okengo .
- CS Interior have promised to crack the whip at Rioma police station .
In the recently released housing and Population census 2019 volume VI and V Kisii and Nyamira counties have recorded high number of such cases in the recent past.
It is this approach Mr Bosire says the region leaders should act swiftly including putting in place proper mitigation measures to be put in place to curb the menace through funding of their council.
“I am really concerned about the high number of cases in the country, Kisii and Nyamira counties not excluded,” said Mr Bosire.
“Some of the cases which have been recorded are as a result land disputes among others.” He told Gusii star.