GUSII STAR

Serving The People

Shock to the family as Fire victims succumbs to burns.

2 min read

photo file

FIRE VICTIMS SUCCUMBS TO BURNS          

  By MARANGA MOSES.

Kisii August 21, 2020 ………Fire victims of inferno from ‘soko mjinga’ in Kisii Town ‘ Kisii county have succumbed.

Coroline Akinyi and her two children, one aged Eight and the other 4, died at Kisii Teaching Refferal hospital where they had sought for treatment after they got serious burns from an inferno  allegedly occasioned by an electric fault.

 Neighbours,however, accused the hospital’s administration  for delays in attending to the victims  at   the emergency unit, thus leading to loss of  life of the child.

Eye witnesses said they saw smoke bellowing out of  Coroline Akinyis house and  dashed  to answer to the distress call.

They fought the fierce  fire and managed to get the mother and her two children out  before  rushing  them to the hospital.

Later Kisii county disaster management  personnel arrived and succeeded  to contain the fire but not before it had consumed the entire  house.

Beatrice Anamu,a neighbor narrated how the shocked  residents and Good Samaritans resolved to put their lives at risk  to retrieve  the mother and her children from the burning house.

John Oyunge,a motorcyclist said he rushed to the scene  only to  learn  that it was a customer’s  house  that s was on fire.

According to him, he used to  ferry the victim , regularly from her  business in town to her  residence at ‘Soko Mjinga’.

He appealed to the county government to assist the family and the Kenya power company to audit electricity supply cables regularly to avoid similar incidents.

Walter Amunga urged the KTRH administration to up their outpatient unit response services  to avert  loss of lives during emergencies.

Mong’ina,a nother neighbor and who participated in the rescue exercise feared the degree of burns on the victims could be higher than initially estimated.